- Peaches are the third most popular fruit grown in America.
- United States provides about 25% of the world’s total supply, while China and Italy supply about 62%.
- Georgia produces 25,000 ton of peaches, But California grows the most at 510,000 tons followed by North Carolina.
- Peaches are from the rose family, and they produce 5 petal pink blossoms.
- Peaches are known to reduce anxiety and are often referred to as the “fruit of Calmness”.
- Peaches are classified as a drupe, which is a fruit with a hard stone.
- Peaches get their flavor from their variety not their color.
DID YOU KNOW that August is also GOLDEN?
The anniversaries of the Klondike Gold Rush (Aug. 16), the designation of Klondike Gold Rush National Historic Park (Aug. 5), Gold Rush Days in Valdez, Alaska (Aug. 3) and Oronoco, Minnesota (Aug. 19), and so much more. We hope “Yukon” enjoy it all!
August was named to honor the first Roman emperor (and grandnephew of Julius Caesar), Augustus Caesar.
August’s zodiac signs are Leo (July 23–August 22) and Virgo (August 23–September 22).
August’s birth flowers are the gladiolus and the poppy. The gladiolus symbolizes strength of character, sincerity, and generosity. The poppy symbolizes eternal sleep, oblivion, and also imagination.
August’s primary birthstone is peridot, which is said to symbolize strength and healing power, protecting its wearer from nightmares and evil, ensuring harmony and happiness. Babies born in August are lucky to be guarded by peridot’s good fortune.
August is the month of sandwiches! This makes sense because the sandwich was invented in August of 1762 when the Earl of Sandwich (yes, that’s a real guy) requested two pieces of bread with meat inside.